Renovating old kitchen cabinets
Kitchen cabinet refacing pros:
- Costs about half as much as replacing cabinets.
- Takes less time (a week or less!) and money.
- It’s less hassle than tearing out cabinets.
- You can still use your kitchen while refacing.
Kitchen cabinet refacing cons (there aren’t many):
- Refacing won’t fix a bad kitchen design.
- You might be tempted to spend more on exotic veneer and hardware (saving you less).
What are Your Refacing Options?
Your choices for the finished look of your cabinets are virtually limitless. Veneers are available in a wide variety of colors, patterns, textures, grains, and more, which you can mix or match to get a relatively low-cost kitchen facelift.
- Rigid thermofoil (RTF) doors, which feature a durable plastic coating over fiberboard, are an affordable alternative to wood or laminate doors.
- Plastic laminates come in hundreds of colors and patterns, are durable and moisture-resistant, and are reasonably priced. You can pick matching or contrasting laminates for your doors and drawer fronts.
- Real wood veneers include many standard species, such as oak, cherry, and maple, and you also can choose from an array of stain colors. Wood veneers are the most expensive option. Wood must be carefully sealed to protect against moisture.
What Does Refacing Cost?
A professional cabinet refacing for a typical 10-foot-by-12-foot kitchen starts at around $1, 000 to $3, 000 for laminate. Expect to pay $2, 500 to $6, 000 for real wood veneer. Costs can rise to $7, 000 to $9, 000 or more for a large project with high-quality wood veneer.
Finishing the project with new hardware (pulls, knobs, hinges) runs $2 to $4 per piece, up to $20 to $50 each for high-end hardware.
In comparison, completely replacing old kitchen cabinets with new cabinets starts at $4, 000 to $5, 000 and up for stock cabinets; $8, 000 to $10, 000 for semi-custom cabinets; $16, 000 to $20, 000 and up for custom-made cabinetry.
Share this Post
Design Your own kitchen Cabinets
Regardless of whether you are building a stereo cabinet or dresser, a kitchen cabinet or bathroom vanity, basic cabinet construction…Read More
Designing kitchen cabinets
Cabinetry is the cornerstone of a hardworking kitchen. After all, the cabinets keep your dishware neatly stacked and your…Read More